Entrepreneurship Skills Taught
Studio branding, vision statement, skill set survey, policies, pricing and packages, being your own boss, scheduling & bookkeeping, website, marketing, and social media.
Pedagogy Skills Taught
Onboarding a student, teaching vocal function, cross training classical and mix/belt vocal productions, alignment, inhalation, phonation, breath engagement, designing vocalises, teaching resonance, teaching different age groups, and storytelling. There are regular synchronous Pedagogy Practicums where you ask questions from your own teaching.
"I only have amazing things to say about Dr. Ellis’ Vocal Instructor Academy. Dr. Ellis is a master teacher and pedagogue but she is also a master business owner. Her step by step process on how to start a studio made starting my studio so much more attainable. I knew exactly where I needed to start and all the steps I needed to take in order to have a successful studio, which was so exciting!" - Kyra
Starting Your Studio Course Options
You can take this course in multiple ways:
- Entrepreneurship Workshop: 12 weeks long, offered June - August with online training modules you can watch on your devices as well as projects, and weekly entrepreneurship feedback in a Zoom classroom setting.
- Pedagogy Workshop: 12 weeks long, offered June - August, with 30 online training modules you can watch on your devices as well as a weekly pedagogy practicum answering your questions, including analysis of your students (with their consent, of course).
- Entrepreneurship & Pedagogy Workshop: the above two courses will be held in subsequent hours and can be taken at the same time.
- Pedagogy (self-paced): 30 pre-recorded modules available to start at any time you can watch on your devices. Includes two 30-minute private pedagogy lessons where you can ask questions and/or bring in clips of your students (with their consent, of course).
"I'm so grateful for this class and I hope many will take advantage of it." - Anna
Zoom Course Dates
- June 15, 20, 22, 27, 29
- July 6, 18, 20, 25, 27
- August 1, 3
- All classes will be recorded for later viewing.
- Pedagogy: 10:00 - 11:00 a.m. Mountain Time (8 ET, 9 CT, 11 PT)
- Entrepreneurship: 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. Mountain Time (9 ET, 10 CT, 12 PT)
- Some portions of the course will be flipped with reflective/research assignments and/or watching the pre-recorded content in advance of class to be discussed in class.
- The many hours of pedagogical training are divided up into 20-ish minute increments you can watch on your phone or laptop.
- Other portions of the course will be presentations and/or answering your pedagogical questions.
- There will be one master class style class when teaching storytelling pedagogy.
"There were so many things that I'd never thought of!" - Avery